Dates July 14th-18th and July 24th -28th
Translate this page
Thoreau is pleased to once again offer the Excellence in Action summer program for our rising 7th graders and new to Thoreau 8th graders. This week-long program has been designed by our own staff to help all students with a smooth transition from elementary school to middle school. Features of the program include:
- Tours and scavenger hunts to get familiar with the building
- Learning how to open a locker
- Team building activities
- Learning about changing classes, block scheduling, and what a middle classroom is like
- Chances to meet and socialize with new friends
Two sessions will be offered this summer. Please register for only one session.
Session 1: July 10th – 14th from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm, at Thoreau MS.
Session 2: July 24th – July 28th from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm, at Thoreau MS.
- How to Register: Fill out this Excellence in Action Google Form
- Cost: The cost of the program is $75. This payment will cover the instructional expenses plus lunch for your student and a Thoreau t-shirt. Payment should be made through the FCPS online payment site, "myschoolbucks.com" in the School Store section of your child’s elementary school. If that option is not available to you, payment may be made by sending in or dropping off a check to the school. Please make checks payable to Thoreau Middle School and send by mail to the school or drop off the check in the front office. Please be sure to put your child’s name on the check.
- Send Checks to: Thoreau Middle School Atten: EIA 2505 Cedar Lane, Vienna VA 22180
- Financial Assistance is available- please email Mr. Loht ([email protected]) for details
- Transportation: Parents will need to arrange transportation to and from Thoreau. Carpooling, walking, or biking is highly encouraged. There are plans to have busses from Mosaic ES, Madison High School, and Marshall Road ES to and from Thoreau. Further details about these busses will be provided as we get closer to the program date.
- Attendance: Students will get the most out of the program if they attend all 5 days. We certainly understand different circumstances but we cannot accept partial payments.
- Lunch: The lunch each day will be provided by local vendors. In the past we have had Subway, Pizza Hut, Foster's Grill, Chic Fil A and Tropical Smoothie to name a few. Your child is also welcome to bring a packed lunch, however the cost of the program will still be $75.
- You will receive a confirmation email within three weeks once your registration and payment are processed. In addition, a more detailed email will be sent one week prior to the session start date.
If you have any questions regarding Thoreau’s EIA summer program, please contact Ted Loht, EIA program director, at @email.