Thoreau Excellence In Action 2022
Thoreau is pleased to once again offer the Excellence in Action summer program for our rising 7th graders and new to Thoreau 8th graders. This week-long program has been designed by our own staff to help all students with a smooth transition from elementary school to middle school. Features of the program include:
- Tours and scavenger hunts to get familiar with the building
- Learning how to open a locker
- Team building activities
- Learning about changing classes, block scheduling, and what a middle classroom is like
- Chances to meet and socialize with new friends
Two sessions will be offered this summer. Please register for only one session.
Session 1: July 11th – 15th from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm, at Thoreau MS.
Session 2: July 25th – July 29th from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm, at Thoreau MS.
- How to Register: Fill out this Excellence in Action Google Form
- Cost: The cost of the program is $75. This payment will cover the instructional expenses plus lunch for your student and a Thoreau t-shirt. Payment can be made through the FCPS online payment site, "My School Bucks" https://www.myschoolbucks.com in the "School Store" section of your child's elementary school site. If you are new to FCPS and do not have an MSB account yet you may pay by check. Please make checks payable to Thoreau Middle School and send by mail to the school or drop off the check in the front office. Please be sure to put your child’s name on the check.
- Financial Assistance is available- please email Mr. Loht ([email protected]) for details
- Transportation: Parents will need to arrange transportation to and from Thoreau. Carpooling, walking, or biking is highly encouraged. There will be a bus from Mosaic Elementary and Madison H.S. Further details about these busses will be provided as we get closer to the program date.
- Attendance: Students are expected to attend all five days of the program. Partial enrollment or payments are not accepted.
- Lunch: The lunch each day will be provided by local vendors. In the past we have had Subway, Pizza Hut, and Foster's Grill, and Tropical Smoothie to name a few. Your child is also welcome to bring a packed lunch, however the cost of the program will still be $75.
- You will receive a confirmation email within three weeks once your registration and payment are processed. In addition, a more detailed email will be sent one week prior to the session start date.
Space for the program is limited so please register by June 10th!
If you have any questions regarding Thoreau’s EIA summer program, please contact Ted Loht, EIA program director, at @email.