Beginning of the Year Information
Back to School
Welcome Golden Eagles! We are eagerly awaiting the start of school on Monday, August 21st.
- Recording of the Parent Information Session held on August 14th. Presentation slides.
- Required Forms
- Morning Arrival Time- Students utilizing Kiss-N-Ride may enter the building only at Door 12 at 7:00 AM. Walkers and bus riders may enter the building at 7:10am. The first class begins promptly at 7:30am, and students are expected to be in the classroom and ready to learn by that time.
- Schedule & Calendar- The Thoreau bell schedule and Blue/Gold day calendar
- Laptops- Student laptops will be distributed to students through their PE classes during the first week of school beginning on Aug 23 & 24.
- Lunch- Lunches are available daily in the cafeteria for those who wish to purchase lunch. Students cannot order food delivery.
- Attendance- Information about Thoreau attendance policies and reporting absences can be found here. Regular school attendance is critical to student success and will be an area of focus for our school throughout the year.
- All students are expected to “dress out” for Health & Physical Education (HPE) class. We encourage students to change into the Thoreau HPE uniform, which can be purchased on MySchoolBucks.com or at our Open House on August 17th. Students will not “dress out” the first week of school as teachers will be reviewing expectations and answering questions directly with students that week.
- Each student will be assigned a locker in the HPE locker rooms at the beginning of the year. Students may store their HPE supplies (uniform, sneakers, deodorant) in the locker for the year while taking it home periodically for washing. In addition to active clothing, all students are expected to wear proper tennis shoes for safe movement during activity. Tennis shoes or sneakers are made to support and to help ensure your feet and ankles are sturdy and protected with good traction. Please note that Crocs, UGGs, and sandals are examples of inappropriate HPE shoes.
- It is important to us that all students have access to appropriate clothing and sneakers for class. If any student or family needs support in purchasing these items please talk with your assigned HPE teacher or counselor and we will ensure your child has what they need to participate fully in class.
- Transportation assignments are now available in SIS ParentVue accounts on the “Student Info” tab. Parents are able to change their intent to ride through ParentVue at any time.
- Lockers will be granted by request. Students will be allowed to carry a bookbag from class to class. After the second week of school, students will have the option to fill out a Google Form to request a locker.
- Students will be assigned a PE locker and these are not by request
FCPS Student Information System (SIS) ParentVue
- SIS ParentVUE provides parents with access to student information, including attendance, report cards, class schedules, gradebook, course history, discipline, health, and school information.
- If you do not have a ParentVue account, please contact Karla Macoto.
This site allows Thoreau to collect various student fees such as PE uniforms, curricular materials fees, field trip fees, etc.
7th Grade Immunization Requirement Notice
All students entering 7th grade will be required to receive one dose of each of the following immunizations prior to the beginning of school: Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis booster (Tdap), and Meningococcal vaccine (MenACWY).
7th grade students cannot begin school in August without proper Tdap and Meningococcal documentation.
Please provide one of the following documents to Thoreau MS by Aug. 15th. You may drop immunization records off in the main office or email them to Karla Macoto.
- An updated immunization record showing that the student has received these immunizations.
- A note on a healthcare provider’s letterhead stating the date the vaccines were given.
- A healthcare provider’s written statement of a permanent or temporary medical exemption.
- A notarized Religious Exemption Form
Immunizations are available from your student's healthcare provider or the Fairfax County Health Department. The Health Department clinic locations and hours are available online or by calling 703-246-2411.
New Student Registration
New to the area? Enrolling your child at Thoreau? Please visit our New Student Registration page.
- FCPS Privacy and Opt-Out Forms
- Family Life Education Opt-Out Forms - email completed forms to Karla Macoto
- Military-Connected Student Form (only applicable to families who have had a change in their military-connected status within the last year) - email completed forms to Karla Macoto
- Free and Reduced Lunch Application
- Homeless Student Referral Form
- Medication Authorization Form
- Epinephrine Authorization Form
- Inhaler Authorization Form